We know to be careful of the hazardous chemicals and machinery we keep around our homes. However, some seemingly harmless household items can end up being far more dangerous than they appear. The best way to handle these products is to be aware of their dangers then handle them carefully and dispose of them properly. The following is a list of some common household items you might not have known were dangerous.
Many of the electronic objects we keep in our homes are battery-powered. Batteries generate hydrogen, meaning they can be troublesome in hot weather and especially dangerous if a spark occurs nearby. The battery itself can sometimes produce a spark, causing it to explode.
Fluorescent light bulbs contain mercury and must be disposed of carefully. Mercury is hazardous and cannot be thrown away in a normal trashcan. If a fluorescent bulb breaks, you should have everyone exit the room and allow it to air out for about ten minutes by opening a window or outside door. Do not use a vacuum to clean up fluorescent lights; the vacuum could push the mercury vapors into the air.
Hairspray often comes in an aerosol can. Aerosols can explode if they are exposed to heat or are punctured, so be careful with where you place them. Hairspray, nail polish, and nail polish remover also often contain flammable chemicals that are hazardous. Some nail polish removers contain acetone, which can be harmful to the skin and dangerous if inhaled in large doses.
This standard household appliance can actually explode, and it is more common than you might think. A gas leak around your water heater can ignite and cause an explosion. Additionally, if the safety valve on your water heater fails, the pressure inside the tank will continue to grow until the tank explodes. It is important for you to maintain your water heater regularly to avoid serious damage that an explosion could cause.
Household items can also become dangerous if they are improperly manufactured or poorly designed. If you are injured as the result of an accident caused by a defective product, you should contact an Appleton defective household products attorney. At Habush Habush & Rottier S.C. ®, our experienced lawyers will work tirelessly to get you the compensation you deserve. Please don’t hesitate to call our offices at 800-242-2874 to speak with one of our knowledgeable defective household products attorneys.