Grease Fires

Grease fires can occur when items cooking on the stove or in the oven overheat and catch fire. Unlike
other fires, grease fires cannot be extinguished with water. In fact, water can intensify the fire,
causing an explosion as the water evaporates on contact with the hot grease. Water can also cause the
grease to splatter, causing devastating burns.

To extinguish a grease fire, you must prevent oxygen from getting to the fire. First, turn off the heat
source. You can then smother the fire using:

  • The lid of the pan. Place the lid on top of the fire and wait for the pan to cool down before removing
    it. If you remove the lid before the pan has properly cooled, the surge of oxygen can cause the fire
    to reignite.
  • A damp towel. You should dampen the towel to prevent it from catching on fire. However, a wet towel
    can drip water on the grease and cause the fire to intensify. The damp towel works like the pan lid,
    smothering the fire. You should wait until the pan properly cools before removing the towel.
  • Baking soda. Baking soda can smother a fire, but you must use a very large amount in order for it to
    be effective. In addition, baking soda is easily confused with flour and sugar, both of which can cause
    an explosion if poured onto burning grease.
  • A fire extinguisher. Although not everyone has a fire extinguisher in the home, it is a good idea to
    keep an extinguisher in the kitchen in case of a small fire. Learn how to properly use the fire extinguisher
    and remember that the chemicals in the extinguisher can contaminate the food in your kitchen.

Contact Us

If you or a loved one has been injured in a fire, you may be eligible to receive compensation for your
medical and financial losses from the responsible party.
Contact
the Appleton fire injury lawyers of Habush Habush & Rottier S.C. ® at 800-242-2874 to speak with a qualified attorney.