Magnets can be educational and fun for children. Recently, special magnets called rare-earth magnets have become much cheaper, allowing toy manufacturers to utilize them in children’s toys. Rare-earth magnets may be tiny, but they are very powerful. Sometimes, these magnets can fall out of the toys, allowing them to be ingested by a child.
Sadly, if a child swallows a rare-earth magnet, it can result in serious health problems such as intestinal blockage. If your precious son or daughter has been hurt due to a rare-earth magnet in a defective children’s toy, you should fight back against this manufacturer negligence. To discuss your case, contact a knowledgeable Appleton product liability lawyer from Habush Habush & Rottier S.C. ®, today at 800-242-2874.
Despite their name, rare-earth magnets are not actually that rare. There are two main types of rare-earth magnets: samarium cobalt and neodymium. They are much stronger than regular magnets, ranging from about 1.5 to 3 times more powerful than a typical household magnet. This makes them able to be cut into tiny sizes while remaining as strong as larger magnets.
Manufacturers are increasingly using rare-earth magnets in toys. However, if the magnets fall out, children may be tempted to swallow them. If a child swallows one magnet, it can usually pass through digestive system with no trouble. On the other hand, if the child swallows multiple rare-earth magnets, they can join together and cause bowel obstructions. Also, if they attract through the walls of the intestines, they can actually tear through intestinal tissue and cause perforation.
Millions of toys that have rare-earth magnets have been recalled due to their potential to harm children. If your child is a victim of a dangerous magnetic toy, contact an experienced Appleton product liability attorney from Habush Habush & Rottier S.C. ®, at 800-242-2874 today for a free consultation.